You can keep black bears away from your campsite by doing the following:
– Maintain a clean campsite. Put all food scraps always at night or when you leave your campsite.
– Put food scraps and fat drippings in closed containers, not in the campfire.
– Do not cook or eat in your tent.
– Keep food and cooking gear separate from your sleeping area.
– Always store your food securely. Use an airtight bear-proof containers. Backpacks and coolers are inadequate.
– Keep food in closed-up vehicle or hang food at least 10 feet off the ground and five feet out on a limb that will not support a bear.
– Never feed bears.
View Source here.